Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Glad to be Wrong

Two items:

One, I am relieved the Virginia Tech killer was a loner, without Islamic affiliation. I'm sure there are Muslim American groups that are just as relieved. I don't mean that cynically. You have to know there were some Muslims who were worried about just that. I wonder if FOX already had jumped to that conclusion before someone reined them in. Didn't see it, but would not be surprised.

Two, I had my first sand storm yesterday. A sand storm is a really innaccurate term. It makes you think of howling winds, gritty sandpaper sand and someone wearing a head scarf (shemagh for you arabists) and goggles as they drive a land rover across dunes.

That's not what happened though. What happened was I walked outside and the air was brown. Like, a brown fog had rolled in, with light breezes like in the eye of a hurricane. See... take flour, a lot of flour, turn a room fan on high, feed the flour into the fan until you're in a white fog of flour. Turn the fan off. That's the consistency of it. It's not like a "sand" storm. It's like a dust storm of biblical proportions. But it gums up everything, and you have to wear sunglasses to try and keep it out of your eyes. Good Times.

Regards,
-Bouncer-

No comments: