Saturday, March 17, 2007

In Country



So here I am, first post from inside the country. Upon arriving, I managed to bring with me a fairly impressive windstorm/dustorm/rainstorm. Yes! I am the bringer of life and squeals from small heavily armed female soldiers! It IS kind of odd to see them in their off duty shorts and shirts running from the dust and rain while carrying a rifle not quite as tall as they are. But then again, big ruff and tuff guy that I am, I went and hid in the PX for a while and finally bought a bandanna and did a Jesse James with it over my nose and mouth to make it back to my hooch. I was sure to pull it down anytime I got near any one who was armed since the last thing I want is to be mistaken for a bandito! :) On the way back to my hooch, I walked by one of the larger bodies of water nearby, and there were whitecaps on it. (I'll try and upload a picture of this later, it doesn't seem to be working right now.)

Speaking of my hooch (small room where I live), first they put me in a tiny room in the TOP bunk. which is, to put it mildly, pretty much guaranteed death for the guy in the bottom bunk sooner or later. I kid, mostly, but I was concerned that jumping down (because there was no way to climb down) was going to do my knees and ankles no good at all, and it'd be a matter of time until something gave, probably in a way that would require surgery to fix. Luckily, I was able to secure a different room with two single beds, with a co-worker, so while space and privacy are not quite what I'd prefer, at least I'll still have functioning joints next week. Hopefully a single room will open up in the not too distant future. I've got my name on the list. Probably get it the day before I go home or something. :P

Today was mostly flying up (an experience all it's own) and getting settled in. Tomorrow is badges, because badges rule the world. Can't go here, there, or anywhere without a stinkin' badge! So, we'll get that done and then do a sort of mission statement so I know what I'm really expected to do on a daily basis (it's all been a bit vague up to this point) and I'll begin recieving the turn-over from the guy I'm replacing.

You hear the crackle of small arms fire occaisionally, and every now and then something that could be an explosion (or thunder) wayyyyyy off in the distance. Plus the occaisional fighter jet or helicopter. Frankly, other than the rattle of firecrackers someplace, it's not that much different than being near any large military base. I'm so used to all those noises from where I've lived before (including the gunfire) that it's really just background noise.

So that's about it for this post. I'll try and write again sometime in the next couple of days when I have time and a better handle on what my role here is.

Regards,
-Bouncer-

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the stint, Bouncer. And stay safe.

You say you have pie. A year's supply must have needed a big suitcase.

/Soup

--TBAS said...

Hey! You! in the cargo pants!

Well, welcome to paradise brother. Water with whitecaps...double bunked beds...not too many places with diggs like that. :)

hows that tooth? watch out for all that ice cream.

BTW..I got to editing the template and noticed I never got around to adding your link so we rectified that little issue.

Anonymous said...

very good joss bouncer. Wind and Rain promote change and natural growth. turtle

Anonymous said...

Don't mind me, Bouncer, I'm just here to argue. :-)

Take care over there.

--Nimon

Anonymous said...

Be safe mate and keep up posted.

Anonymous said...

Where are my keys?

DoG

Bouncer said...

Dunno how to reply individually because I am a retard. :p

Soup: The pie is mine! ALLLLL mine! So keep your Englisher living in Sweden hands offa it!

tbas: Thanks bro, so far, I've brought fan-fucking-tastic weather with me, so you owe me, big. :D

turtle: Love you. Nuff said. :)

Nimon: Bite me. (Your move!) :)

NIH: Thank you sir, I plan on wearing so much body armor I won't be able to reach my peepee!

DoG; NO HAWAII CONDO FOR YOU! You stay in your cold hippie land with the mari-j-uana and such!

Regards,
-Bouncer-