Monday, July 2, 2007

Changes in Lattitudes..

Soooooo, about the vacation. Thinking somewhere cool this year. After being in the desert during the summer that's only somewhat natural. Sooo hmmm.. where to go, where to go...

Shimla, I think.

"Shimla?" You say.

Yes Shimla. In the Himalayas. In India.

Yeah, really.

My reasoning goes like this.

Professionally, I need to maintain and increase my certifications. It's basically impossible to do much work on that here in Iraq. The workload is such that while I might have an hour here or there during the week to study, I don't have any consistent time to do so, and that makes it more difficult. Plus, you can be deep into something and have to drop it at any moment to go solve a problem. That makes it difficult to ever work through and learn something.

Now, I can go to training in the US or Europe. And pay a boatload for the privilege. And be distracted by touristy things to do or by seeing my family (who I love to very much). For me though, it's very very difficult to study when I've got a lot of distractions going on.

Alternatively, I've found what appears to be a very reputable training facility with multiple locations in India. One of which is in Shimla, in the Himalayas. It's a bit more serene environment, conducive to studying as opposed to sitting on a beach in Goa or doing family stuff. On other factor is that this is about as close to India as I'm likely to get, so flying from this area to there is a lot simpler than trying to do so from the US.

So hmm.. Shimla. In three weeks I should be able to rack up at least three certifications, and I'll have a good idea as to whether I want to come back for more. Plus, I can honestly say I'll have been to India, and have seen and walked a bit of the Himalayas.

Which I think entitles me to grow a pony tail, or perhaps a topknot, or maybe just wear saffron colored robes. Something like that, anyways.

I still very much want to do sailing, but this is a unique opportunity to both help myself professionally and travel to a truly exotic location, and I'm strongly leaning in that direction.

Regards,
-Bouncer-

2 comments:

Cookie said...

Yay for vacation!

If you do go there, send loads of pictures! I teach my third graders about India, so it's really neat to have photos of places they might not otherwise be exposed to. (In case you needed another reason to go, this can be it) ;)

Luv ya and glad to hear you're keeping well. *hugs*

Anonymous said...

Oh Wow!!!!!!Awesomelycoolandfandamtasiceven.
JEALOUSSSSSSSS!!!!!!
Yes, yes, yes......I agree with Cookie, please, please, Please, take and send lots of pictures. Wow, drink some yak milk for me also and ring the bell three times in a remote tibetan monestary, and rub the bald head of a true sheian monk, and make a himalayan snowmonster/angel in the snow and pray,- pray for the planet. And think, think about the next best thing to do in your life. I will be there with you in the spirit. Love Turtle.