Thursday, July 12, 2007

A few Snaps...


Here's the Perfume Palace at dusk (time exposure which is why it looks bright). The interesting thing about this building besides it's construction, are the stories behind it. Depending on who you ask, it's either a palace for Saddam's girlfriends (some of whom were unwilling), or it was a palace built for one of his daughters. I'm not sure which is true. Maybe both are. The Iraqis are a complicated people.



This is the Baath party Headquarters. You can't see it from this side, but the other side is a pretty ruined place courtesy of aerial bombardment. It's cleaned up now, but I'm told the smell there from the bodies used to be very strong. Yeah.




This is the Victory over America Palace!(tm) It's kinda hard to see. It's ahh.. unfinished. It was originally going to be the Victory over Iran Palace!(tm), but after Gulf War I, Saddam decided that since he had won, they would rename it! Well done! Wonder what it'll be called next!


Finally, a SLIGHTLY MODIFIED (heh) picture of me on one of Saddam's thrones. This is in the Al-Faw Palace and so many people have taken pics on it they finally just put it by the door. It's about as touristy as it gets. :) It's also kinda getting worn out and stained from so many dusty GI's sitting in it. Curiously, whenever they have Iraqis in they practically climb over one another to have their picutre taken in it. It's a psychological thing.

I'm going bsck to Iraq soon, of that I have no doubt. What I find interesting is how I end up describing it to friends and colleagues. The bases are.. well.. imagine living in a giant industrial construction zone. Dirt, gravel, constant generator noises and periodic bangs and booms. Anyways, I'm off for a few days to go see family and take care of eight million details.

Regards,
-Bouncer-

3 comments:

Cookie said...

o.O

Bouncer said...

DON'T YOU BE GIVIN' ME TEH EYE!

:O

Regards,
-Bouncer-

Cookie said...

I giveth the eye before you made it all into one big post... tis YOU who preserved "the eye" :P