So that's that then. Told my gov't customers that I'm moving on to a gig in Afghanistan. NO PRESSURE NOW! :o
So why do it? In my case, it's a combination of issues. My current job is great, but it's morphing because of fiscal issues, into more of a paper chasing gig. While I am an excellent technical writer, I am not much good at keeping up with generic paperwork/filing clerk type duties. I appreciate that they were basically creating a position to keep me around, but for me, I'd be doing something I'm not really good at, don't like doing, and don't want to be doing professionally as I move forward with my career.
Soooo.. time to look around. And I got an offer for A'stan. And thought about it. A chance to be back closer to the pointy end of the stick, in an exotic location, doing meaningful work and a pretty nice check to boot. Hmm.. maybe it's my mid-life crisis, but whatever. I'm in.
Of course there's lots to do before I go, and I'm really committed to ensuring a smooth turnover of all my responsibilities to my co-workers. I don't want to burn the gov't or my fellow contractors, both because I consider many of them friends, and because I may be back this way someday. No reason to burn bridges it took me six years to build. So there's going to be a bit of a process to make sure at least a couple of people are up to speed. Not to mention, my company has a contract obligation to fill my gig, and I'd rather it go to someone I know and trust not to hose up the systems I deal with. That is, in my mind, my professional responsibility. Of course they'll have my private cell and/or other contact info when needed. I expect a few calls at first to taper off over time as they get more confident.
I also have about a thousand little things to do before I head out in mid-february. That's where my camping list below comes in. I could more or less go with the clothes on my back and would probably be okay.. but why not be as prepared as possible, yanno?
It's going to be exciting and challenging.. I can't wait. :)
Regards,
-Bouncer-
No comments:
Post a Comment