Thursday, December 21, 2006

Mattresses...

From time to time I will C&P stuff I've written elsewhere. It's a form of naval gazing I know, but the info in it is decent. At least I think so. :) This is one such post.

hings to be aware of:

Most new mattresses are of the "no flip" kind.
Almost all mattresses makers buy their springs from the same places.

Many "brands" are simply sub-brands of the same makers. Heavenly beds, are made by Simmons, for instance. Stearns & Foster are made by Sealy. Thus, you might find the exact same model under two different names from two different "brands" for two dramatically different prices. Give up on trying to sort them all out. I did, it just got way too confusing, which is something I now believe they do on purpose. It's not worth it either, because basically they run the assembly line for a week making Mattress A, then change a few things and run it for a week making Mattress B. All the important bits such as foam stock or coil stock are usually completely identical. It's just the stitching and pattern and the like that is usually different.

Don't assume cost equals quality. You can pay 4K for a mattress that you will loathe every morning you own it. The key here is comfort, and the truth seems to be that you should buy whatever makes you most comfortable, and it doesn't need to be expensive to be comfortable. Some of us have touchy backs, or back injuries. Some of us would be perfectly fine curled up on a hardwood floor. No one here can tell this for anyone else.

Any memory foam mattress relies partially on body heat. This means that in a cold room these mattresses will be VERY firm at first. Below 60 degrees they basically become rocks. The "NASA developed foam" bit sounds nice but it's not what the astronauts sleep on. It's the seat padding used (to reduce G-Force impact on organs) during lift off.

Do you rocket around your room much? No? Then think of it as just another mattress type. NASA didn't design it for your back, after all.

Memory foam mattresses also have known issues with retaining heat. The foam molds around your body and reacts to heat and is not very breathable at all. This means that some people end up waking up in a body shaped depression lying in a pool of sweat that's difficult to climb out of. Fun! Others buy toppers to alleviate this problem, however this then interferes with the foam reacting to your body's heat, so it doesn't mold itself to your shape as well (ie: the mattresses is harder to sleep on).

I don't want to sound down on them, most are good mattresses solidly made, it's just that they do have a few specific issues because of the properties of the foam.

Latex is an alternative that many people are turning to (including myself) though it may not be right for you. Latex does have more bounce to it than memory foam. On the other hand you dont sink into it as far and it doesn't have as many heat issues. It is sometimes reccommended for larger people or people with back injuries as the best "blend" between coil and foam. Latex has it's own issues though, and some people are allergic to it. It can also be pricey, depending on the model.

In the end, the best piece of advice I can give you is this. Unlike most things, cost doesn't equal quality (note above that nearly the same mattress is sold under different names). You really have to go and lie for at least 15 minutes using multiple positions on any bed under consideration. You find the one that's comfortable for you, and THEN look at the price. You might be surprised that you don't end up with the "Ultra quilted double topped super extra plushy/firm tempur-Royale Deluxe Quasimodo Mark IV" and instead end up with a Sealy Posturepedic. Like umpteen million other people have.

I didn't end up with a Sealy. I didn't end up with a $5000.00, 4ft high mattress either. I'm not going to reccommend a brand to you, since the major brands are all about 95% the same. I'm just going to tell you that a good mattress place will let you lie in peace on their mattresses without bugging you and that a bad one will try and distract you, in which case you should bolt for the door! Further, be prepared to spend a couple hours in the store deciding, becase you might have to try them all out to find the one for you, and you need a good 15 minutes on any one you're going to try. This is the most important furniture decision you make, because you will spend more time on it than any other piece of furniture you own.

Take the time and do not let anyone rush you. If they try, leave, and go to a different store. For me, I was lying on one of the three I was down to and I realized that time had passed. I'd just taken a micro nap in the middle of a furniture store! So I sat up, stood up, made sure my hips and back felt okay, and went over to buy it. That's how I ended up choosing.

Sources for more info:
http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/living/home/design/ask_expert_front.htm
http://my.webmd.com/content/article/85/98467.htm
http://www.consumersearch.com/www/ho...s/reviews.html
http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/
http://www.sleepnet.com/

Regards,
-Bouncer-

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ive just received some very exciting news on this topic i thought i would share via the blogoshpere... Because supply is currently outstripping demand, cheap memory foam mattresses are now available for around the same price as standard equivilants. Which means there has never been a better time to go memory foam! have you ever laid down on one of these - incredible maaaan...

sleep tight