Sunday, February 25, 2007

Last Week

Going into my last week at work.

So much to do, so little time... still, the turn over is going as well as can be expected. I hope to turn over my laptop on Friday mid morning. Until then, I'm finishing up what I can and closing out projects and transferring over email and documents.

I took my CCNA on Saturday and missed passing by 6 points. 6! The simulations killed me. I just got all panicky and flubbed them. Everything else I did well on. Grah!!! Still, it pinpointed what I need to nail down, so I'll be hammering the sims and and re-quizzing the rest of the material every day between now (did a couple hours tonight) and next Saturday (earliest I can retake it, apparently). I know it's apparently random in the questions, but I got some I've never seen referenced anywhere else. Ah well.. keep on drilling the material and working the sims till you see an enable prompt in your dreams. It's all you can do really.

I think I'm not going to be able to leave until the 15th or so no matter what the new employers want. I understand the desire to get me out there and relieve the other guy, but I've got things to pack and ship and a car to sell and so on. I don't have a support staff, so it's just me taking care of this stuff. That takes time and I can't fly back from one place on a Thursday night and fly out two days later for a year. That's just not realistic. I need a little breathing room to get this done in an orderly manner.

I cannot wait. For future reference, and for anyone thinking about moving to another job, take at least a week between gigs. Trust me. I'm leaving this job on Friday at 5PM and am going to be in another state working 7AM Monday. That's just nutty. If I had to do over again I'd definitely give myself at least five working days off just to de-compress and deal with details.

I'm going to talk to my current customer and see if they're interested in buying say 100 hrs of phone support from my new employers (during business hours when not otherwise engaged). That'd be a logical way to bridge the gap between my leaving and others really picking up the reins.

Regards,
-Bouncer-

2 comments:

Soylent said...

Oh sure...complain, compain, complain...

Look, at least *you* don't have to suffer through a pepperidge farms chocolate chip cookie shortage.

Bouncer said...

:O

AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

Funnily enough, the Girl Scouts showed up last night with this months palletized shipments. :D


And they're mine! ALLLLLLLLLLLL MINE!!!! Not yours, but MINE! mineMineMINE!!! EEEEEEEheeheeheeheeheehee!!!

-B-