Monday, December 24, 2007

Christmas Eve 07

Christmas Eve.

Trying to think of somerthing deep and meaningful to write. Got nothing. Just miss my family terribly, and am annoyed with my co-workers. Seems the gov't people like to task us with lots of makework "So you earn that overtime on Christmas!"

Listen bub.

I'm here. You're out of the country or slacking off. Which means that if those who really need service have an issue, I am available to support them. On Christmas eve. Unlike you. That, by itself, is worth the overtime. Yeah, I'm cranky on Christmas eve.

The constant music doesn't help either. It's like being forced to smile cheerfully at gunpoint. It just doesn't look real and never will. A real smile has an inner glow, not the grimace of annoyment or the rictus of fear.

Definition of irony: A Christian choir in a Palace in Baghdad Iraq, a building designed and built by Muslims, singing "Joy to the World" and other Christmas carols. As I walked down the hallway and the sounds echoed into my ears, I could not help but feel an almost existential moment. But we're not crusaders. Really. Then I went to one of the few bars in this country, and drank enough liquor to post this.

Never again. I'm not missing Thanksgiving and XMAS with my family again. That's the deep meaningful thing I got to say. They're worth way more to me than a few dollars, and that's that.

Merry Christmas to you all. Call someone you love.

Regards,
-Bouncer-

No comments: