This is my blog. There are many like it, but this one is mine. Also, I have pie and you do not. So all in your face on that.
Friday, August 31, 2007
The Weeble-Wobble of Death
This is called a C-RAM. It stands for Counter-Rocket Artillery Mortar system. It is VERY loud, and yet, very comforting. Basically, you take a Phalanx system off of a ship, put it on a trailer, and send it to the desert. You use shells that explode in mid-air (so they don't land in downtown Baghdad as that would be bad). It shoots down mortars and rockets about 7 out of 10 times. Granted, I wish it were 10 out of 10, but it's better than 0 out of 10!
I kinda debated posting this because of OPSEC, but at the same time, I was able to find all this video of it on YouTube, so I figured I might as well mention it here. I call it "The Weeble-Wobble of Death". Dun Dun DUHHH!
Basically, I was driving past one while it was in scan mode just after an attack alarm had gone off. The system is automatic, and when it's in search mode it sort of wibbles around looking for incomming. In other words, the damn gun was bouncing around vaguely in my direction looking for something to shoot. It makes you VERY nervous when it wobbles in your direction. The shells that thing puts out are not quite as big as your forearm. Definitely the size of a good can of hairspray. And it'd just turn you and the vehicle you were in into puddles.
However, it's on our side, and so I like it. Plus it defeats the bad guys without hurting innocents. So there's that, too. And nothing makes the point about firepower like one of those going off. The video simply does not do it, or the phenomenally loud buzz saw sound it makes, justice.
Regards,
-Bouncer-
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
AH HAH!!! SO NOW WE KNOW WHAT ALL THE SPACE INVADOR GAMES were aiming to train little kids to play with.....among other things. But space invadors seems to be a littler more accurate, once u get the hang of it. Turtle
man, we never could figure out why they never had those until late 2006 in the IZ. Good video find btw.
Post a Comment