Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Go, For Pringles

I wear body armor to go buy Pringles.

We have to, you see. Anytime we leave our little compound, even on a run to another part of a bigger compound, we have to wear body armor. I mostly don't mind. It's heavy, and hot, and I'm frankly stunned at the soldiers who wear even more kit in the heat, and go on patrol, and operate for hours in it. It's just amazing to me. The best way I can describe it is to take all your good iron kitchenware.. all the heavy frying pans, and tie them to a nice winter coat.

Then put on the coat, and feel the drag and the extra umph on your thighs.

Then step outside in the sunshine. And take some flour and throw it back into your face. That's about 1/3rd of what it's like.

Anyways, I wear body armor to go buy Pringles.

I do so, because it gets me out of the compound and is something different. Plus I get to hear other accents, and talk, even briefly, to other people. And of course I get to buy all kinds of odd, somewhat American, yet clearly foreign products at the Naafi. The Naafi is the UK version of a PX/BX. They have a UK slant on things of course. For instance, they've decided that it's okay for young men to buy magazines with pictures of *gasp* nekkid women! Unlike us upright Americans. They're very naughty! And also way more realistic about certain things. OTOH, they're completely insane when it comes to food in general, and "crisps" in particular. Say, for instance, Pringles. They have Cheese and Onion Pringles. And Ketchup Pringles.

I mean, really.. Ketchup Pringles? WTF is THAT about? What's next, baked potato flavored pickles?

Still, it's whats available and it breaks up the monotony. Plus, of course, you get to feel like you're in a bit of a movie. What with the kit on and the radio sqwawking and the gigantic SUV you're in and the sunglasses so on.

Then you clear the gate and reality sets in. You're reminded that it's no joke and it's no movie.

I wear body armor. To go buy Pringles.

Regards,
-Bouncer-

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

U are like a heavy armed ....Turtle!