Soooooo a while back when I was making some life changes, I took up shaving old school style, like my dad used to do when I was a young boy. Dad was a safety razor kinda guy, not a straight razor lunatic, and I favor the same.
I ended up with a Merkur 34C
I find it has the right balance of heft, though it is not a very large razor. It also cleans very easily.
Two things:
1) You WILL find difference in the blades. Merkur blades are very good and also forgiving of newbie mistakes. I'd recommend anyone use those first. Feather blades are so sharp you could probably split an atom with them and not at all forgiving of newbie mistakes. You WILL nick yourself the first time you use a Feather blade.
2) Your shaving technique will change. You are probably used to pressing the blade into your skin and long strokes. With a safety razor, you want short strokes and very very little pressure. Let the weight of the razor and the sharpness of the blade do the work.
As to shaving brushes, I recommend the RoyalShave PB4 Best Badger Shaving Brush. It's light and the badger bristles have stood up well for over a year now. If anything it's gotten softer and lathers up better than when I first got it.
I use Taylor of Old Bond St sandalwood cream. I recommend a little bit on your fingertip and push the cream down into the center of the brush. I use a brisk swirling motion on my cheek to start to build lather. Then I use a figure eight pattern to extend to the other cheek and under the chin. You can see it here:
Typically I can get at least two passes with a third of a fingertip amount of cream. It lathers up a lot. So I'll wet the brush with hot water, and apply that to my face a couple of times. Opens up the pores, wets the skin and prepares the brush for the cream. Then apply the cream, and get to lathering.
Finally the shaving. I do vertical shaving (with the grain if you will) on the first pass, and horizontal shaving (across the grain) on the second pass. I use short strokes and a light touch. Works well for me. After two shaving passes I'll lather up one more time, because the remaining cream will help to bring down any nicks and soothes the face. Then while lathered up, I'll clean the brush and razor. Then step into the shower and rinse.
Enjoy your new ritual. I find it very helpful to wake up to.
Regards,
-Bouncer-
I ended up with a Merkur 34C
I find it has the right balance of heft, though it is not a very large razor. It also cleans very easily.
Two things:
1) You WILL find difference in the blades. Merkur blades are very good and also forgiving of newbie mistakes. I'd recommend anyone use those first. Feather blades are so sharp you could probably split an atom with them and not at all forgiving of newbie mistakes. You WILL nick yourself the first time you use a Feather blade.
2) Your shaving technique will change. You are probably used to pressing the blade into your skin and long strokes. With a safety razor, you want short strokes and very very little pressure. Let the weight of the razor and the sharpness of the blade do the work.
As to shaving brushes, I recommend the RoyalShave PB4 Best Badger Shaving Brush. It's light and the badger bristles have stood up well for over a year now. If anything it's gotten softer and lathers up better than when I first got it.
I use Taylor of Old Bond St sandalwood cream. I recommend a little bit on your fingertip and push the cream down into the center of the brush. I use a brisk swirling motion on my cheek to start to build lather. Then I use a figure eight pattern to extend to the other cheek and under the chin. You can see it here:
Typically I can get at least two passes with a third of a fingertip amount of cream. It lathers up a lot. So I'll wet the brush with hot water, and apply that to my face a couple of times. Opens up the pores, wets the skin and prepares the brush for the cream. Then apply the cream, and get to lathering.
Finally the shaving. I do vertical shaving (with the grain if you will) on the first pass, and horizontal shaving (across the grain) on the second pass. I use short strokes and a light touch. Works well for me. After two shaving passes I'll lather up one more time, because the remaining cream will help to bring down any nicks and soothes the face. Then while lathered up, I'll clean the brush and razor. Then step into the shower and rinse.
Enjoy your new ritual. I find it very helpful to wake up to.
Regards,
-Bouncer-

No comments:
Post a Comment