So I got outbid on a Vintage Rolex Presidential Day Date. Which is a good thing, because I wasn't thinking when I bid the damn thing and was all "GAH!!!" as soon I did. So that was good and I dodged a bullet.
OTOH, my main computer took a hit and now I'm having to rebuild it. It's a hybrid system with an SSD as well as a SATA 2 TB drive, which means normal recovery methods won't work, and I'm having to order a recovery CD from Acer. For 34 bucks including shipping. Thanks Acer! I mean, it's not really their fault the PC pooped itself, but with part of the windows OS on one drive, and part on another (for faster load times), this is a mess more people ARE going to run into, and at that point the recovery CD/DVD ought to come with the machine. Add in a UEFI system (because god forbid you upgrade without Microsoft or Acer's permission!) and it's just a mess.
Still, ended up getting a 3TB backup drive which I needed anyways (obviously!), and it's time I downloaded the newest version of Hirem's Utility CD. So there's that. Plus now I get to play with small versions of linux that'll boot from a thumbdrive.
The goal here is to get a thumbdrive bootable OS that will let me mount the D: drive and the external backup drive so I can move all the important documents and files off. Then I'll secure that, reload the OS, and slog through re-installing everything in the known universe. Yay! :/
Fneh! Fnehfneh!
Could be worse, could always be worse! Could be trying to do this while downrange somewhere!
Regards,
-Bouncer-
OTOH, my main computer took a hit and now I'm having to rebuild it. It's a hybrid system with an SSD as well as a SATA 2 TB drive, which means normal recovery methods won't work, and I'm having to order a recovery CD from Acer. For 34 bucks including shipping. Thanks Acer! I mean, it's not really their fault the PC pooped itself, but with part of the windows OS on one drive, and part on another (for faster load times), this is a mess more people ARE going to run into, and at that point the recovery CD/DVD ought to come with the machine. Add in a UEFI system (because god forbid you upgrade without Microsoft or Acer's permission!) and it's just a mess.
Still, ended up getting a 3TB backup drive which I needed anyways (obviously!), and it's time I downloaded the newest version of Hirem's Utility CD. So there's that. Plus now I get to play with small versions of linux that'll boot from a thumbdrive.
The goal here is to get a thumbdrive bootable OS that will let me mount the D: drive and the external backup drive so I can move all the important documents and files off. Then I'll secure that, reload the OS, and slog through re-installing everything in the known universe. Yay! :/
Fneh! Fnehfneh!
Could be worse, could always be worse! Could be trying to do this while downrange somewhere!
Regards,
-Bouncer-
No comments:
Post a Comment