So I went out into the redzone the other day, and that's not what made it a good day. I went to an Iraqi neighboorhood with no PSD or armored vehicle, and that's not what made it a good day either. I helped the Iraqis set up some wireless networks (On my own time) in a boys and then a girls school. It was nice to just donate my skills to help kids a little bit, and just seeing kids was a treat. And that really is what made it a good day.
See, I live in a kid free zone, no little people at all anywhere nearby, so seeing them just playing soccer or giggling at the giant American dude was cool, though I felt like I must've been covered with fine green hair only they could see judging by the peeking around corners an giggling in the girls school. But then again, I may be the first American they've ever seen in person with out ACUs and a bigass gun and terminator sunglasses.
(These kids were probably between 11 and 14, though I saw a few as young as five or six who mostly just stared at me like :O <--- that)
It was a good day, because I got to see kids being kids. I dunno, I can't even explain it that well, I never realized how that simple thing can lift your heart. I must be getting old or something.
I was actually a bit concerned about their safety because of my presence, so I can't make this a regular or predictable thing. :(
Regards,
-Bouncer-
3 comments:
u go bro.....love turtle....can't wait to see you this weekend.
going into the red zone to be nice is good, having the wrong militia pop in and decapitate you is bad, stay safe man, don't let familiarity make you lax
Please be safe, Bouncer. -Seth (b-nutz)
Post a Comment