Thursday, June 14, 2007

Karoke in the Dust

So we have MWR people. MWR stands for Morale, Welfare and Recreation. These people are kindly, but insane.

For instance, they've decided that karoke in the desert combat zone is a good idea. Mind you, theis is karoke without ANY alcohol. The Japaneese, who invented the art, have a religious proscription that prevents karoke without alcohol, because it is entirely too strange. In a country where you can buy used panties and a beer from a vending machine...

ANY-ways, I went last night because a co-worker of mine goes. I only stayed about an hour or so. While there were some screechers and some people trying to sing like the original artist, there were also some pretty decent crooners who did their own take on the songs and carried them off well. They could easily make it at least a couple of rounds in American Idol. Applause was enthusiastic, even for the ahh.. tone deaf. Partially to be nice, and partially because it's not easy to get up and sing in front of others.

And listening made me realize that there is actually a skill to karoke. Something I'd not considered possible. Basically, know your range, and work in it. Don't try to pull of Whitney Houston if you're a guy (or even most women). Also, sing the song with your voice. Don't try to sing with a twang you don't have. Sounds great to you, whiny as all hell to everyone else. Finally, any guy can sound sexy as hell. It's easy. Take any Whitney Houston type song or R&B type ballad like "Love for Sale", and say the words in a low voice Barry White style. Throw in some "mmm mmm mmm!" sounds and you're golden.

Also, the MWR lounge is the coldest building on base not in use as a meat locker. It's loooooooooooverly for that reason alone.

Regards,
-Bouncer-

2 comments:

Cookie said...

I want to see the video of you singing!!!





*disclaimer: I did not say I want to hear the video :P

Anonymous said...

what's next.......Kahlil Gibran singing blowin in the wind?