Monday, February 18, 2008

Bureaucracy and Booms

We need more booms.

I know the first reaction is "WHAT!???! Has that pebble sized brain of yours fallen out through your left ear?!?!" But hear me out, before you toss me in the nuthouse.

We need more booms. To remind people of what this place is, and why they need to shelve the bureaucratic BS. As the gunfire and bombings have decreased, the number of people wearing suits and ties or skirts and blouses has also increased. And following like an evil monkey, the amount of unnecessary bull has skyrocketed, so to speak. All of a sudden it's about the color of the napkin, rather than being satisfied they have a napkin at all. It's about image, not substance. This isn't really a problem at the top of the food chain, because they have enough issues to keep them occupied forever and a day. But the middle management people are now starting to whine about insignificant issues, like not having blackberry messaging in Iraq, when the fact that they have any cellphone access at all is a miracle being held together by gum and ducttape, they just don't realize it. Recently, they've come up with stuff like "Team Building" exercises. Hello, I'm in IRAQ. I'm pretty damn sure I know what it's like to work on a "team". Stop trying to treat this place as if it were your last post in the Bahamas or wherever where you had to dream up make work projects just to have something to do. We have PLENTY to do without these make work ER trophies just keeping things running.

We need more booms. So the lack of blackberry isn't seen as the end of civilization as we know it. So they are reminded this is a WARZONE, and they can NOT expect things to function as they would in Washington DC.

It doesn't help that right now is when the DoS people go through the employee reviews, and so they are all already wound as tight as a spring. So they vent at us, the contractors, and they come up with make work projects, and generally are an even larger than usual PITA.

We need more booms.

So I can get back to work on serious stuff, and not have to deal with the bush league wanna-bes trying to show how important they are.

Regards,
-Bouncer-
PS: I don't want ANYONE, Iraqi or American to get hurt, but I want people to be reminded of what is important, and really, what is not.

No comments: