Sunday, September 30, 2007

Silence and Respect


I went to Arlington National Cemetery today.

It was a beautiful autumn day. Bright sunshine, no humidity to speak of, slight breeze and temperatures in the upper 70's.

I went to see my Granddad. And to remember. While I was there, they had a Changing of the Guard ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. As I walked up and stood to the side of the crowd, there was a small, older, forged metal sign. The words on it caught my attention:

"Silence and Respect"

No "Please". No "For the convenience of others" fake courtesy. A simple, honest demand. More powerful for it in our PC world.

As I walked on, the words on the sign made me think about why we have these places. From a purely monetary standpoint they are inefficient, unnecessary anachronisms. Big, solemn parks maintained at significant cost that only a relative few on any one day will wander. Mournful places that remind us of our own mortality. Ironically though, it's an affirmation of life. And it puts the truth to the statement: "Money isn't everything." It reminds us, of what's important:

Places like these are more than a "Field of Honor", whatever that means. They are a place of, well.. respect. A nations respect not only for it's dead... but for their families. For the ones who carry on and the continuing sacrifice they endure. It is a way of acknowledging the debt owed to the living for the service of their loved dead.

It is a hugely powerful place for that. If you can find it on a cool autmun day, or a warm spring one, I urge you to go, to listen to the commands barked as the Changing of the Guard occurs. To watch not merely the drilled precision, but to see the discipline demanded as they watch over our loved ones for us.

Regards,
-Bouncer-

No comments: